Om Parkash Chautala is an Indian politician and a government official who was a longtime president of Indian National Lokdal (INLD). INLD is a regional political party in Haryana state. He is former chief minister of Haryana from INLD and son of former deputy prime minister Choudhary Devi Lal, who was a key anti Congress politician in late 1980 and 1990s .
His political career came to an end in 2013 when he along with his son Abhay Singh Chautala was convicted in a ‘teacher scam case’. He was released from Tihar jail during Covid-19. He belonged to Uchana Kalan constituency. At present, he is 87 years old.
However, due to their family member’s disharmony, his party INLD was broken out and his grandson Dushyant Chautala formed a new party Jannayak Janta Party (JJP).
Recently, he landed in a controversy that by suggesting that young girls in state should be married early so that rapes could be avoided.
- He was born on 1 January, 1935 at Haryana in a small village near Sirsa.
- He is son of 6th deputy Prime Minister Choudhary Devi Lal.
- He had 3 brothers named as Partap Singh, Ranjit Singh and Jagdish Chandar. All of them joined politics except Jagdish who died at an early age. His eldest brother Partap Singh was an MLA from INLD in 1960.
- He dropped out of school and opted to make a career in politics.
Marriage and Children
- He was married to Sneh Lata, who died in August 2019.
- He has 2 sons named as Ajay Singh Chautala and Abhay Singh Chautala and 3 daughters.
- Abhay is MLA from Ellenabad.
- His grandson Dushyant Chautala is deputy CM of Haryana.
- He got his political career from his father in blood as his father, Ch. Devi Lal who was involved in the establishment of the state out of Punjab state in 1966, later served as Haryana’s CM and deputy PM of India. Also, his father founded the INLD Party.
- He dropped his studies in order to make his career in politics.
- In 1970, he became a member of the Janata Party (People’s Party), where he was elected to the Haryana State Legislative Assembly for the first time.
- His name was included in several controversies. In 1978, he brought a large number of wristwatches from abroad, and then, he was detained at Delhi Airport. Then, his father Devi Lal abandoned and left him.
- After then, in subsequent years, he reformed himself and ran “Nyaya Yudh” – a publicity campaign that gained political support for his father’s party in the 1987 election to the state assembly.
- He put together a similar operation in the mid-1990s to improve the INLD’s image.
- In 1990, there were allegations that he was involved in the killing of a political opponent.
- He was elected to Rajya Sabha in 1987 and served there till 1990.
- In Dec 1989, he was made CM of Haryana, replacing his father as his father was appointed as deputy PM of India.
- But, he was unable to gain a seat in the state legislative assembly within the required 6 months and so, he left office in 1990.
- Shortly after that, he won a by-election to the assembly and he served 2 more short tenures as CM on 12 July 1990- 17 July 1990, 22 March 1991- 6 April 1991.(By-election is a process in which the population chooses an individual or multiple individuals to hold public office).
- In the 1991 Haryana assembly election, Congress formed the govt. In Haryana. Chautala entered the house in the 1993 assembly election through by-election.
- In 1995, he claimed that govt. had endangered the state by agreeing to share the water of the Yamuna river with neighboring states. However, he resigned in protest in 1995.
- In the 1996 State Assembly election, Bansi Lal of the Haryana Vikas Party (HVP) formed a government. And Chautala became the opposition leader in the house.
- INLD was founded in Oct. 1996 as Haryana Lok Dal (Rashtriya) by Devi Lal. It was officially established in 1998 as Indian National LokDal (INLD).
- HVP lost its majority in the state assembly election in 1999 and O.P. Chautala with the support of the BJP formed the govt.
- The same year, he was elected as president of INLD in Haryana.
- Chautala’s 4th tenure as head of govt. Lasted until March 2000, when early elections to the state assembly were called.
- In the 2000 state assembly elections, INLD allied with BJP secured 47 seats. INLD formed the government. And Chautala became CM of Haryana for the 5th time.
- At this time, his tenure lasted till they complete 5 years but they failed to fulfill many of the pro-farmers promises that the party had made in its electoral campaign.
- INLD, campaigning without BJP in 2005 lost badly in assembly elections and the Congress party formed the govt.
- INLD performed better in the 2009 state elections, but Congress kept control of the government. Chautala maintained his seat in assembly in both contests.
- Chautala’s political career came to an end in 2013. He, his son Ajay Chautala and several dozen other officials had been convicted for illegally promoting some 3200 teacher candidates during his fourth term as Chief Minister. He got 10 years of imprisonment for this crime. They appealed but their convictions were upheld by the country’s Supreme Court in 2015.
At 87, 5 time CM Chautala gets 4 years in jail, his four properties to be seized. He has assets worth over Rs. 6.09 Crore, far exceeding his known source of income, between 1993 and 2006.
O.P. Chautala was released from jail in teacher recruitment scam.
He was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for illegally promoting some 3200 teachers during his 4th tenure as C.M.
He ran the public campaign ‘nyay yudh’ to gain political support for his father’s party in haryana and to improve the image of INLD.
Born at Haryana near Sirsa.
Om Parkash Chautala involved in controversies:
- In May 2022, He got 4 years imprisonment and his four properties to be seized. As per the chargesheet filed by CBI on 26 March 2010, 7 time MLA collected assets worth over Rs. 6.09 Crore, far exceeding his known source of income, between 1993 and 2006. To know more, click on – disproportionate assets case former haryana chief minister om parkash chautala sentenced.
- In 1990, he was involved in a controversy of killing his political opponent.
- In 2008, he was involved in a scam of recruiting over 3000 unqualified teachers in Haryana state illegally from 1999 to 2000. In 2013, he was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment along with his son, Ajay Singh Chautala. To know more, click on- teachers recruitment scam former haryana cm op chautala son get 10 years in jail.
- In 2019, ED filed a supplementary chargesheet against O.P. Chautala, named as immovable assets. To know more, click on- money laundering case.
- In 1978, he brought a large no. of wristwatches from overseas and then, he was detained from Delhi airport. After then, his father Devi Lal abandoned him.
His son Ajay Chautala and Abhay Chautala have, had their own set of controversies.
- Abhay Chautala was in news in 2012 after he controversially got elected as an Indian Olympic association (IOA) and Indian Boxing Federation(IBF) President. To know more, click on – ios suspension of ioa a black day for india
So, we can say that he remained chief minister of Haryana 4 times – his tenure spanning from 6 days to 6 years. But, he never enjoyed the same political status that his father Devi Lal had attained in state and national politics.